Thursday, July 22, 2010

Coming to terms with run/walk

Its good to read.
It has really helped me to continue to read and read all I can about running, marathoning, training, eating/hydrating. This week what has been prominent is walk/run combo and how it is ok. Up until this point my focus has been on running without stopping. What I have learned is even the best and most trained sometimes just have to walk, ok , maybe not during a race, but... My bible refers to a couple of people who have actually increased their finish times by taking a couple walk breaks. It gives the body just a breather and allows for reset. I was never so glad to already know that than I was this morning at 630. So, maybe, week one is when your muscles are getting started and haven't reached the point that they realize they are going to have to work yet? Cause let me tell you, they are ssccreaming at me today! and yesterday! I tried to go yesterday but honestly my legs were so heavy it was pointless. I did make my scheduled 3 miles today, but wow. I really need to work on hydration too, I could feel about mile 2 that I was out of juice. I'm thinking about 4am drinking 16oz water to get me hydrated for 6am. The words "this aint happening" actually came out of my mouth, coupled with 'you've got to be kidding'! No amount of visulization was working, no meditation, nothing. Just had to plug through. and still 153.5 aarrrg. ok. Tomorrow will be better. Its funny how good days give you one kind of motivation, bad days give you a whole different kind.....the 'this is not going to beat me' kind. So onward my tired legs...forward.
Thanks for listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment